The overall cost of hiring a private investigatorwill depend on several factors. You need to take into account the experience of the investigator, the complexity of the case, the person being investigated, and the location of the investigation services.
For instance, private investigators in rural areas typically charge less than their urban counterparts.
When Can You Hire a Private Investigator?
A private investigation firm provides a host of services. However, these services cover the following:
- Finding a missing person — This is the most common request for private investigator services in Lawrenceville, GA. For the most part, the case is quite straightforward, but it requires a lot of leg work. It only becomes complicated when the missing person doesn’t want to be found. In the same vein, they are also hired to trace stolen property.
- Case buildup — Lawyers also hire private investigators to vet information given by the client or other facts and details that will help their case.
- Surveillance — They get a lot of clients looking for evidence on cheating spouses. The charge will depend on the number of hours put in, the number of people they tap, and the type of equipment used.
- Background check — If you want an extensive background check on a particular person, you can hire private investigator services in Lawrenceville, GA. They specialize in gathering any information that Google could not provide.
- Crime investigation — Don’t think that private investigators should replace police work. You should always go to the police when a crime has been committed. However, there are instances when the client feels that the police are not paying too much attention to their case. Investigators also try to crack open cold cases presented to them by clients. But they are not miracle workers so temper your expectations, especially if the case is already ancient.
So How Much Does a Private Investigator Cost?
The private investigator will charge between $40 and $100 per hour. The average cost in the United States is somewhere from $50-60.
However, you will also pay a retainer to hire their services. The retainer cost is not fixed. Usually, the investigator will compute the retainer based on the estimated number of working hours they will put into the case. They will also factor in the anticipated expenses.
The retainer will allow them to concentrate on the case rather than bother you for more money during the investigation. You can ask for a breakdown of the cost when you settle the bill.
The contract that you will sign will also outline the charges and expenses. The investigator will also inform you if there are additional costs beyond what was stated in the contract.
Check the Private Investigator License
Lastly, check if the private investigator services in Lawrenceville, GA have a license to operate. They can’t secure a permit from the State of Georgia without first obtaining the necessary legal requisites and experience in private investigation. In the United States, only South Dakota, Wyoming, Mississippi, and Colorado don’t require a private investigator license.