A knife is one of the most important pieces of equipment for cooking and preparing dishes. It is essential to have a good kitchen knife to make the job go smoother. The best kitchen knife should be sharp enough and has the right weight and balance to make sure that your chopping and slicing will be safe and fast. Also, investing in a good set of kitchen knives will add to the pleasure of food preparation and can last you a lifetime.
If you are upgrading your kitchen and you’re looking for the best kitchen knives, then you’ve come to the right place. Today, we are going to give you a guide to buying kitchen knives to help you navigate the process and identify the best kitchen knives for your needs.
Different Types of Kitchen Knives
When looking for the best knives, you first need to be familiar with the different types that are used in the kitchen. It’s because they are not one size fits all as they serve different purposes. Each type of knife is designed to work best for specific types of cooking tasks. To better understand, here are the different types of kitchen knives and how each of them is used.
- Chef Knife: A chef knife is probably the most important knife for most home cooks. It is the one used for chopping vegetables and most meat prep. It is the type of knife that you usually see on the television being used by chefs. This type of knife features a large and smooth blade that can be used for crushing garlic and olives, and as well as for slicing and dicing almost every ingredient you need.
- Paring Knife: A paring knife is a smaller and shorter version of the chef’s knife. It is used for cutting smaller fruits and vegetables like mushrooms. You can also use it for peeling if you do not have a peeler. It is safer and easier to use for more delicate cutting tasks that smaller pieces of food occasionally need.
- Serrated Knife: A serrated knife is another essential type of kitchen knife. It has a long, thin blade that is serrated on end, making it easier to cut bread. It will prevent you from tearing up or smooshing the bread when you cut it. Aside from that, it is also best used in cutting softer fruits and vegetables like tomatoes.
- Santoku Knife: A Santoku knife is used for the same tasks that a chef knife is used. However, this type of knife has a different design. It has a wider and straighter blade that is great for chopping veggies and mincing herbs. Its design can make it easy to make thin slices of vegetables.
- Carving Knife: A carving knife features a long and thin blade that has a sharp tip. It is best used in slicing large chunks of meat into narrow and even pieces. This is not an essential knife in the kitchen, but if you make lots of roasts and honey-baked hams, you might find it handy.
- Boning Knife: A boning knife is a specialty kitchen knife that can handle cutting through bones, ligaments, and tendons. It makes it easy as possible to remove bones from the meat. Most boning knives come with a blade about 4 to 6 inches in length. They are also available in different degrees of flexibility. This type of knife is perfect for those who like to buy meat that still needs some butchering.
Things to Consider When Buying Kitchen Knives
After knowing the different types of kitchen knives that you may encounter when you go to stores or search online, we are also giving you some of the important things to consider when buying one. Here are some of them:
- Construction: Knives are made in two ways, which are by forging and by stamping. Forged knives are those created by applying extreme heat to a piece of steel, then molding it into the desired shape. They are usually more expensive because they have strong blades that are less prone to bending. Stamped knives, on the other hand, are those that are made with a machine, punched out of a piece of steel. After forming the blade, the edge will be sharpened.
- Sharpness: Of course, sharpness is probably the most essential factor to consider when buying kitchen knives because a dull one won’t do you any good. A sharp knife, aside from how well it works, should also be safe to use. A sharper knife is actually safer to use compared to a dull knife. Why? Because there’s a higher chance of cutting yourself when you are struggling to cut something using a dull blade.
- Handle Comfort: It’s also great to choose a kitchen knife that is comfortable to hold. This will depend on the material used for the handle, which can be plastic, metal, wood, and composites. Aside from the material, the shape will also affect the comfortability of handling a kitchen knife. Comfortability can also depend on the size of your hand and your strength.
- Weight: The weight of the knife is also a big factor when it comes to comfortability. This is a personal preference, and if you are new to cooking, you might want to do a little bit of experimenting to know what will best work for you. Some people like lightweight kitchen knives, while some like heavier ones.
- Balance: Balance is related to weight, as well. It also helps in determining how comfortable you are in using the knife. For example, chopping can be more difficult if the weight of the knife you are using falls too much on one side. Therefore, try to choose one that is balanced and comfortable to hold for you.
- Maintenance: An additional factor that is also essential to consider is the maintenance as well as rusting and corrosion. Choose a kitchen knife that is not prone to rust or corrosion. Also, look for one that can stay sharp longer to avoid sharpening often.
- Storage: Before buying different kinds of kitchen knives, you first need to think of where you will keep them. There are sets of kitchen knives you can buy that comes in a block that holds them. However, this will not give you a chance to pick out your specific preferences for each knife it comes with. Another option is to store them in a magnetic knife rack that is available in different styles online.
- Cost: Of course, you also need to consider your budget. If you cook a lot, then this means that kitchen knives will get a lot of use in your kitchen. Therefore, it is worth spending some money to get some high-quality knives. The tip we can give is to just spend more on the types of kitchen knives that you will be using a lot or more often.
The Best Kitchen Knives
Now that you know the different types of kitchen knives, and as well as the factors to consider when buying, you can now go and choose the best knives for your kitchen. To help you, here are some of the best ones we found that you might like.
This chef knife is made of 100% German stainless steel that is anti-rust and cracking-resistant. It features a special-made wooden handle that has an ergonomic fish-belly grip that would fit your hand perfectly. This chef knife is perfect for professional chefs and home cooks who do a lot of cooking on a daily basis. It is designed for chopping, mincing, slicing, and dicing with its razor-sharp, laser-tested tapered knife edge.
This is a well-weighted chef’s knife that has rounded handles for minimal effort when chopping, dicing, slicing, and mincing ingredients. Its ergonomically designed handle is perfect for both small and large hands. It can also minimize wrist tension. This knife is made of real 67-layer high carbon Japanese AUS-10 stainless steel that is handcrafted by the most experienced knife specialists in the world. It has a 12-degree blade that can make slicing meat feel like slicing butter.
This knife is fabricated from high quality German stainless steel. It has a fully forged construction that offers durability and a seamless transition from blade to handle. It features a professional, satin-finished blade that offers precision cutting. It is also finely honed for long-lasting sharpness. It has an ergonomic handle that can give you balance and comfort, as well. This chef knife is also dishwasher safe. It is perfect for chopping, dicing, mincing, and slicing ingredients.
This paring knife is made of German high carbon stainless steel that is rust and corrosion-resistant. It is ideally used for peeling, mincing, slicing, and dicing different kinds of fruits. It has a sharp blade that will help you cut and peel fruits easily. Aside from that, it also features an ergonomic handle that ensures a non-slip grip.
This is a set of three paring knives, which includes a peeling paring knife, a regular paring knife, and a heavy-duty paring knife. It comes in a beautiful case for easy storage. The blades of these knives can cut through fruits, vegetables, and herbs easily. They are razor-sharp, and will not dull easily. The handles of these knives also look and feel great, and they are made with solid brushed aluminum.
This paring knife features an ergonomic handle for comfort and durability. It has textured finger points to avoid slip and for grip and safety, as well. It is made from high-quality Japanese steel that can be easily maintained and sharpened fast, as well. This knife cannot be washed in a dishwasher. You just need to use warm water and wash it by hand with soap. Also, avoid submerging it in water for a long period because chlorine can cause discoloration on the blade.
This carving knife features an ultra-sharp blade that can handle all cuts of meats, including pork loins, brisket, turkey, ham, and roast. It has a taper-ground edge and perfect balance to allow long-lasting sharpness and high efficiency while carving and chopping. It has a razor-sharp blade that is made of German stainless steel. It also has a soft and comfortable handle for a secure grip and well-balanced weight distribution.
This is a beautiful carving set that allows precise carving and slicing of poultry, roasts, and more. It is made from top-quality German high carbon stainless steel. It is forged to precise specifications to provide a superior edge and lasting durability. Its blade is sharpened to a 20-degree bevel angle. It also has exceptional balance, lasting durability, and superior comfort. Its wooden handle is infused with phenolic resin, making it durable and look beautiful, as well.
This boning knife is made with imported Japanese VG 10 super-steel with 67 layers of high carbon stainless steel. It is also non-stick, rust-resistant, and corrosion-resistant. It has a rounded handle to ensure a secure and comfortable grip. It also has a tapered bolster for extreme comfort and perfect balance. This is actually a great gift for chefs and home cooks.
This is a well-designed boning knife that is best for skinning fish and trimming meat with its flexible blade. If you are working with delicate precision task of boning and filleting fish and poultry, this is the perfect knife to use. Its blade is made of German stainless steel that is rust-resistant and corrosion-resistant. It also has an ergonomic wooden handle for a secure and comfortable grip.
These are some of the tips and products we can recommend when it comes to buying kitchen knives. We hope the information we shared will help you find the perfect set of kitchen knives for a smoother cooking and food preparation in your kitchen.