Some people like taking on different art projects and coming up with new ideas to make something unique. As a result, fascinating and one-of-a-kind art is made, which captures everyone’s attention. Sand picture art is an example of such a creation.
Sand art has origins that date back to the Native Indians. The concept of sand picture art is pretty unique and exciting. It is the type of art created by the intricate and calculated use of sand in a container. It is then utilized in glass frames with two glass panels with a slight separation between them filled with sand and sometimes water. When you turn the sand picture upside down, gravity pulls the sand to the bottom, making interesting patterns. Each flip gives you a unique design and something new to see.
If you want to learn more about sand picture art, you are in the right place because we will discuss all the main things about sand picture art in this guide.
How to Make Sand Picture Art
Sand picture art is also a great project to make and work on in your spare time.
To make sand picture art, you will need the following things:
- Two identical picture frames with glass
- A quarter-inch gasket material
- Silicon aquarium sealant or any other adhesive
- Colored sand (at least in two different colors)
- Distilled water
- Duct tape
- A clean cotton cloth
- A funnel with a quarter-inch nozzle
The Making Procedure
The sand picture art is done with the following steps:
- The first thing to do is take the back off each picture frame and separate the glass from other parts of the frame. After doing that, you should wipe down the sides of the glass and put a glass on a flat table.
- Now you need to think of a design you want to recreate, such as mountains, oceans, or any pattern of your liking. After that, start by creating several sketches to work it out. Once you are done finalizing the design, carve the shape of it from the rubber-gasket material. Leave some space between them so that you can pour the sand through.
- Next, trim the gasket to make linings for the glass’s outer edge. You also have to make space for the sand and water to flow around. After that, cut an inch of a section from the top of the gasket and set it aside.
- Use a silicone adhesive and glue the gasket pieces to one side of the glass and let it dry for a little bit. Once it’s done drying, put some adhesive on the gasket’s other side and glue it to the second pane of the glass. Make sure that the seal is tight.
- The top of the glass should have an opening of an inch. You can test the power of the seal by pouring a small amount of water into the void. If it goes well, take the water out.
- Now measure a quarter to a half cup of colored sand that you want to use. Pour the sand down the opening through the funnel and in between the glass. Ensure that the glass edges are secure before you pour the sand; you can add some glue if necessary. After pouring all the sand in, pour some distilled water through the funnel and in between the glass.
- After that, you have to check whether there’s a hole in the designed lining or not. If there is a hole, you need to drain out all the water, let the glass dry, and secure the opening with an adhesive, and try again.
- When the frame is almost filled with water, hold the panes in a vertical position with the help of two book stacks or similar items, and if you want, you can add more sand. After that, glue an inch of the section of the gasket and let it dry. Add a tiny amount of adhesive around its edges to cover the seal.
- You can also cut quarter-inch strips of duct tape to support the adhesive. Apply them to the edges of the glass, and glue the edges to the side of the frame. Once it dries, glue the other side of the glass onto the other side of the frame.
- Polish outer side of the glass, and your sand picture art is ready.
Best Sand Art Products to Check Out
KB Collection Sand Picture is made using beach wood and finished black matte lacquer with coated steel posts. It is a KB Sandman's classic blend that has black, ruby, and gold glitters.
It is an interactive, ever-changing, and mesmerizing piece of art that you can buy as a unique and attractive décor for your home, office desk, bookshelf, etc. It also comes with a direct injector, an air scale, and an instruction manual. The sand's flow time can range from 15 minutes to several hours.
This sandscape sculpture is a rotating picture frame filled with colored sand that makes unique, relaxing, and intriguing patterns each time you turn it upside down. You can see the combinations of colored sand and glow-in-the-dark glitter in it. The whole mixture creates ever-changing and unique landscapes at your desk.
You might not see the same design again and again as it changes as you move it. This sand picture art is a perfect gift that you can give to your family members and loved ones.
Rainbow vision sand picture is handcrafted and gives the pattern of a rainbow. The falling sand creates mountains, valleys, and dunes, every time it is flipped or moved. It creates a new sand picture each time you turn it upside down.
It is a great choice to keep at office desks and makes for a perfect gift to give to your family members and loved ones.
4. Coitak Moving Sand Art Picture, Dynamic Sand Picture, Desktop Sand Art for Home Decor and Office (7”x9") (9x7inch)
Coitak moving sand picture is also an exciting and dynamic piece of artwork. Rotating the glass frame will allow you to enjoy the view of the swirling sand, which transforms into clouds, landscapes, oceans, and even mountains of intricate lines and patterns.
The sand picture provides a sense of calmness in the atmosphere, whether you're in the house or the office. It is very soothing to look at and helps you relax when you are feeling stressed or need a break from your hectic daily routine.
5. CooCu Dynamic Moving Sand Picture,Sand Art,Sandscapes Art In Motion,Desktop Art Toys,Best Gift to your friend with Gift Card(Orange) (S)
CooCu dynamic moving sand picture frame is made from sealed glass, colored sand, secured plastic, and colorless liquid. Like others, it shows different impressive designs and patterns every time you turn it upside down.
It is an excellent piece of art that you can use to add color to any table, bookshelf, or room you want and is also a perfect thing that you can cherish and look at to give you that soothing and relaxing vibe.
6. Deerbird Illusion Landscape Moving Sand Painting Frame 3D Vision Dynamic Sand Picture with Double Color Frame Attach Mirror Desktop Art
Deebird sand frame consists of a flowing sand screen on one side and a mirror on the other side of the frame. Every time you turn it upside down, it displays various soothing and relaxing designs to watch. It is made from ABS plastic material which makes it solid and stable.
This sand screen consists of sealed glass, a unique type of sand, colorless liquid, and air bubbles. It makes for an excellent art piece to place anywhere you like.
Sand Picture Art – A Unique Art
As we discussed above, sand art is one of the unique forms of art to have been made. It dates back to Native origins and has been utilized in art over the years in different ways. It utilizes the use of sand to create different patterns within a glass frame resembling natural landscapes.
Every time the frame moves, the sand forms a new pattern. It is something you must check out as it is a fantastic work of art and absolutely eye capturing.